Protesters gather outside White House ahead of Trump speech

first_img“We think that Trump is encouraging his people to be violent, and we are encouraging people to be peaceful,” said Oppenheimer, 53, carrying a sign that read, “Cops are tools of fascism.”Nationwide Black Lives Matter protests, sparked in May by the police killing of black man George Floyd in Minnesota, had begun to subside in recent weeks.But the flood was unleashed once more when a white police officer in Kenosha, Wisconsin fired seven bullets point blank into the back of Jacob Blake, a 29-year-old black man, as he attempted to get into a car with his children inside.Blake survived the shooting but is likely to remain paralyzed from the waist down, according to his family’s lawyer. “There are more people who are ready for Trump to leave office,” said Washington native Michael Legend, a 33-year-old black man.Just a few yards (meters) away, shielded by large metal fences, the billionaire Republican was gearing up to accept his party’s presidential nomination for reelection with a speech on the South Lawn of the White House. “We don’t want to see Donald Trump accept the nomination. The goal is to drown it out,” said Miriam Oppenheimer, who came from Philadelphia for the demonstration.On the other side of the White House, Trump supporters had gathered on the National Mall, a sprawling green bordered with museums and monuments to US leaders. Hundreds of Black Lives Matter protesters gathered in front of the White House Thursday ahead of Donald Trump’s presidential nomination acceptance speech, shouting with anger and demanding his resignation.”We need to get Trump out, we need to destroy the whole system. We need a revolution,” said Keheirra Wedderburn, 18, above the sound of banging drums and chants of “Trump/Pence out now!””These presidents are not gonna do anything ’cause they are not the people of color in the streets being shot,” the black student from Houston, Texas told AFP.center_img Topics :last_img read more

Brisbane weather presenter Tony Auden to sell suburban home

first_imgThe lounge room at Chermside West.He said they had lovely neighbours, and often helped one of them with their gardening.“She’s a really lovely lady, and she makes really great Malaysia curries,” he said.The property, on a 465sq m block, is being marketed by Place — Aspley agent Chris Winkler with offers over $549,000. More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home6 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor6 hours agoThe home at Chermside West.Mr Auden said they had been building their “realistic dream home” with a swimming pool at Alderley, which was closer to the CBD.Describing their Chermside West home as a “nice little block”, Mr Auden said it had been a great place to live with their two pugs.“We wanted something on the northside and we were looking for affordability and space,” he said.“We took pride in our property and we want that legacy to live on.” Brisbane weatherman Tony Auden is selling his Chermside West home.Channel Seven weather guru Tony Auden and his wife Alicia are making the move to Alderley.After more than five years, the couple are selling their three-bedroom, one-bathroom home at Chermside West. last_img read more

Pension fund for Dutch maritime construction sector weighs future

first_imgThe decision, however, was a temporary one, according to Van Vlier, “as the social partners could not agree on the direction at the time”.Van Vlier, who declined to provide further details on the differing opinions, said the investigation into the scheme’s options came as a consequence of the nationwide debate on the viability of smaller pension funds.“It is a sensitive issue, and there is a lot of emotion,” she said.“Many participants are proud having their own pension fund.”According to the scheme’s annual report, the parties involved have agreed that a solution will be implemented on 1 January 2017.Roozemond, who has chaired Waterbouw since September, said the pension fund was preparing for various scenarios but had to wait for decisions from the social partners before any implementation could begin.She said many scenarios were possible, as, in addition to the mandatory plan for the 1,000 workers in the Netherlands, there were three voluntary arrangements for 2,000 employees abroad.Previous negotiations to merge with BpfBouw, the €47bn scheme for the Dutch building industry, broke down, as did talks with PGB and Koopvaardij, due to differences over investment policy.Waterbouw has approximately 12,000 workers, former workers and pensioners, affiliated with 70 employers. Waterbouw, the €1.1bn pension fund for the Dutch maritime construction sector, is considering its future as an independent scheme.Member companies and employees are now looking into whether the accrual of pension rights should remain with the pension fund, according to Lea van Vlier, secretary for the social partners.Kitty Roozemond, Waterbouw’s recently appointed chair, said the pension fund, which is responsible for existing pension rights, was preparing itself for the implementation of a number of different scenarios. The social partners and trustees decided last year to maintain the pension fund’s independence after a study concluded that placing Waterbouw’s pensions with another scheme or an insurer would fail to satisfy all parties.last_img read more

Major road repairs on Government’s agenda for Loubiere/ Castle Comfort area.

first_img Sharing is caring! 18 Views   no discussions Tweet Share LocalNews Major road repairs on Government’s agenda for Loubiere/ Castle Comfort area. by: – August 18, 2011center_img Minister of Public Works, Energy & Ports, Hon. Rayburn Blackmoore.Acting Prime Minister and Minister of Public Works Honourable Rayburn Blackmoore has assured residents of Loubiere, Madrelle, Fond Baron, Wall House and Castle Comfort that several road repair and rehabilitation projects will be undertaken.Mr. Blackmoore who was representing the Prime Minister at the ninth inaugural meeting of the Loubiere, Madrelle, Fond Baron, Wall House and Castle Comfort Village council yesterday, gave the Government’s assurance and commitment to assist in improving the safety and lives of the residents of these communities.“I want to give you the assurance and commitment of this administration that in so far as the Castle Comfort link road is concerned; your Government; the people’s Government has paid in full the Public Works Corporation for that said work. Upon completion of the Public Works engagement in the Carib Reserve within the next two weeks they shall return to the area to complete that job. We did not pay a portion but we paid everything. I can give you the assurance here today that $150, 000.00 will be made available to ensure that that project in itself is undertaken in due course” the Minister said.According to Honourable Blackmoore he has been in dialogue with the Member of Parliament for the Roseau South Constituency, Honourable Ambrose George to determine the most effective way for implementation of these projects; whether through the Village Council or through direct engagements of the Ministry with local contractors.”The Minister also assured the residents that another project with an estimated cost of one million and forty-eight dollars to rehabilitate the portion of road from Lalay Coco to the beginning of the Pointe Michel sea wall will be undertaken.“I want to give you the assurance to do the road from Lalay Coco up to the beginning of the Pointe Michel sea wall, and that is going to cost one million and forty-eight dollars. It will involve among other things a new pavement with asphalted concrete, and the installation of sidewalks and the elevation of the side walk in the Loubiere area to make it safer and more comfortable for vehicular traffic flow,” Mr. Blackmoore said.In related news, Mr. Blackmoore highlighted the significance of ensuring that a proper road network exists on island which he says will assist in our economic advancement.Dominica Vibes News Share Sharelast_img read more

Vintage bomb found in Numancia

first_imgResponding police personnel then sealedoff the area before the UXO was turned over to the Explosive Incident ResponseTeam (EIRT) of the Regional Explosives Ordnance Disposal & Canine Unit 6. KALIBO, Aklan – A vintage mortar bombwas pulled out from the waters of Sibuyan Sea by a fisherman in BarangayCamanci Norte, Numancia, Aklan. The decades-old UXO incendiary was transported by EIRT to a safe area in Aklan Police Provincial Office for safe disposal.(With a report from Akean Forum/PN) According to police investigators, the 81-millimeter-long old mortar bomb weighing four kilograms could explode and kill anyone within a 250 meter radius. Jenley Ranigo of Barangay Bakhaw Nortehere discovered the unexploded ordnance (UXO), which dates back from World WarII on March 20.last_img read more

Blood centers need more blood

first_imgBATESVILLE, Ind. — Blood banks are starting to run low on blood donations.The Decatur County Memorial Hospital is hosting a blood drive on Thursday, March 16 from 2 – 7 PM in conference room D at the hospital.Margaret Mary Health will also be hosting a blood drive on March 30 from 8 – 5 in a donor bus outside the hospital.All donors must be at least 17 years of age and weigh a minimum of 110 pounds.To schedule your appointment at Decatur County Memorial Hospital, click here, or call 812-663-1228.To schedule your appointment at Margaret Mary Health, click here, or call 800-830-1091.last_img read more

Cardinals 5th & 6th Grade Boys Basketball Results

first_imgThe Cardinals were defeated on Wednesday evening by the Greendale Tigers 38-18.Saint Louis was led in scoring by Max Amberger with 7 points.  Ben Miller had 6 points, Adam Meer had 3 points, and Sam Laloge finished with 2 points.  Sam Laloge led the team and blocks and rebounds, while Adam Meer and Santiago Schutte led the team in steals.The Cardinals are back in action on Monday, November 20th against St. Lawrence.Courtesy of Cardinals Coach Ryan Tekulve.The Cardinals 6th Grade team lost 41-30 to drop to 6-2 on the season.Cardinals Scoring:  Conner Miles – 13 pts.; Hank Ritter – 5 pts.; Thomas Lohmueller – 7 pts.; Calvin Grote – 3 pts.; Evan Flaspohler – 2 pts.Rebounds:  Hank Ritter – 3; Carson Meyer – 5; Thomas Lohmueller – 3; Eli Weiler – 3.Courtesy of Cardinals Coach Jerry Roell.last_img read more

From 18th, Knutson captures Hobby checkers at Boone

first_imgRicky Thornton Jr. followed his king of the hill triumph with the IMCA Modified checkers after starting 12th while Doug Smith repeated his winning ways in the Karl Kustoms Northern SportMod main. Troy Jerovetz took command at lap four of the IMCA Sunoco Stock Car 20-lap feature and dominated to the checkers.  By Joyce Eisele BOONE, Iowa (June 13) – Eric Knutson earned hard charger and feature win honors after starting 18th in the Saturday IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stock feature at Boone Speedway.center_img Knutson got past Bryant Johnson in the closing laps to capture the win.  Following second place Johnson was Daniel Smith in third, Curt Reed took fourth, and Jeremiah Andrews was fifth. Race cars were not the first to hit the track at Boone Speedway on Saturday. It was the Boone High School Class of 2020 that got to parade down the frontstretch and take the checkered flag first.last_img read more

Siasia appeals FIFA’s life ban

first_imgRelatedPosts Super Eagles soar on FIFA ranking FIFA ranking: Nigeria moves up by two spots, now world 29th COVID-19: FIFA count cost to football Former Super Eagles Coach, Samson Siasia, said on Thursday he had lodged an appeal against his life ban from the game by world football governing body, FIFA. The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Siasia was banned for life from the game, following a match-fixing probe by FIFA. Siasia, who spoke to NAN in Abuja through his associate, Opukiri Jones-Ere, said his lawyers had submitted an appeal against the ban to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. He said: “Siasia has submitted his statement of appeal to CAS in Switzerland, asking the court to stop FIFA’s decision until his appeal is heard. “He has galvanised all resources and the deserved courage to clear his name and unchain himself from the FIFA ban which hit him unexpectedly last month. “He has also vowed to go to the end of his life to show that he is innocent.” On August 16, FIFA said in a statement that the adjudicatory chamber of its independent ethics committee found the 51-year-old Siasia guilty. He was “guilty of having accepted that he will receive bribes in relation to manipulation of matches in violation of FIFA Code of Ethics”. Siasia played 51 times as a striker for the Nigerian national team and later coached various national youth sides before his first spell as senior coach in 2010. His case is the latest to emerge from FIFA’s long-running investigation into the activities of Singaporean Wilson Raj Perumal, whom FIFA has called a “known match fixer”. Perumal has admitted such activity in several interviews. FIFA said Siasia was banned for life “from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) at both national and international levels”. Siasia was also fined CHF 50,000 (41,997.1 pounds). The former Nigerian international was appointed Super Eagles head coach from 2010 to October, 2011 and was reappointed in 2016. FIFA had in 1989 banned Nigeria for two years from age-grade football competitions over discrepancies discovered in the ages provided by the duo of Siasia and Dahiru Sadi. The ages were provided while registering both players for the 1985 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in the then Soviet Union and the 1988 Olympic Games in Seoul, South Korea.Tags: CASFIFASamson SiasiaSuper Eagleslast_img read more

Pulev: I’ll ruin Joshua’s hope for Fury clash

first_imgRelatedPosts Tyson Fury to Anthony Joshua: Don’t risk fighting Usyk Anthony Joshua, Okolie plot world title double Anthony Joshua wants Tyson Fury, Wilder fight Bulgarian brute Kubrat Pulev has once again refused to step aside in order to allow Tyson Fury to face Anthony Joshua in his next fight.The IBF mandatory challenger has fired a warning to Joshua, saying he’ll personally dismantle any notion of the Briton’s battling each other. Pulev insisted that the signed contract with AJ will be honoured.“He (Anthony Joshua) can’t face Fury because he has signed a contract to fight me,” pointed out the former world title challenger in a Q & A with Sky Sports.“Besides, in this same contract, there are clauses featuring some serious compensations (if he tries to back out).“In the meantime, Fury has a contract for a third fight with Deontay Wilder. Neither me, nor Wilder will give up on these fights.”Asked if he can follow through on Bob Arum’s prediction of a knockout in the Joshua fight, Pulev answered: “Yes. And I’m more than convinced that I’m capable of doing it.” On the coronavirus pandemic hampering plans to stage the fight this summer, Pulev said he wasn’t worried about when the bout takes place.He added: “I don’t have such concerns. Even if the fight has to take place behind closed doors, it will still be a very interesting event.“Yes, we had to postpone it a bit. But I don’t think that it will take too long before we meet in the ring.“We have a signed contract. Which is the reason I strongly believe there will be a fight before the end of the year.“I’m more than certain it will be an exciting clash that will show the world who’s the better boxer.” Tags: Anthony JoshuaBOXINGIBFKubrat PulevTyson Furylast_img read more