– Advertisement – At this point the cause of each outage is still under investigation.Power is expected to be restored by 6 p.m.
Children’s Pastor for the Alliance Church, Mary Stregger says they want to reach out to the community and offer childcare for our “sports driven community”. Stregger says while they will be “talking about Jesus a little bit,” the majority of the time is spent participating in soccer drills, games, and some snacking.Coming from a teaching background, Streeger says keeping children active is the best way to successfully communicate with them, not to mention the value of exercise and time away from the computer or television screen.- Advertisement -The camp costs $75 per child, which includes a soccer ball, t-shirt and water bottle. If your child is registered and paid for by 3:00 p.m. on July 5, you get a $10 per child discount. There’s still plenty of space for children to register, and if you’re interested, either send an email to email@example.com, call 250 785 4644 or just drop into the church, located on 9804 – 99 Avenue.
The conference will focus on three learning streams, which are ‘discover, design and succeed’; the purpose of which is said to allow attendees to design their own personal education roadmap, according to Spark’s webpage.Janet Krestin and Nancy Vonk are the keynote speakers for this year; both of whom are known for their advertising work and advocacy for women in the workforce.“They’re passionate believers in mentoring, collaboration, and creativity as essential components to leadership,” a Spark press release reads. “Their unconventional ideas on career development are echoed in “Darling, You Can’t Do Both” (And Other Noise To Ignore On Your Way Up), a guide to rules women should break for success.”- Advertisement -This upcoming conference is being held at the Fort St. John Pomeroy Hotel & Conference Centre on May 12 – May 13, 2015.The cost to attend is $341, GST included.Follow this link to complete the online registration form, make your payment and secure your seat.Advertisement
In recent years, developers wanting to build projects in Fort St. John, regardless of whether these projects are new businesses or housing developments, have been frustrated by what they feel is an expensive, time-consuming and unclear process.The City too, has been frustrated with its own development permit process, and commissioned Tantus Solutions Group to review the policies, practices and bylaws used by the City of Fort St. John’s Development Services Department. After consulting with members of the development community, contractors, utility companies, Council and City staff, Tantus identified a number of areas that need improvement, and presented a report containing their findings and recommendations to Council last week.The goal of the review is to create a permit application and approval process that is functional and efficient, trackable and reliable.- Advertisement -One recommendation that City staff implemented even before the report was presented, was to initiate a software program to manage the permit process. The permit was also divided into two permits, the first a Development Area Permit, which deals with zoning, form and character, and gives the developer early approval for the project. The second is a Development Servicing Permit which requires full engineering details.“This was an area that developers has requested a change, as they did not want to have to spend funds to fully engineer a project if the concept had to change due to zoning or form and character reasons,” stated Victor Shopland, General Manager of Integrated Services for the City, in the cover letter of the report.The Tantus review found, among other things, that not only is the application process paper-driven, but the application process is unclear to applicants and submissions are often incomplete and of poor quality. Improving the process by making most steps available on-line, including permit application, payment and an FAQ, as well as enabling applicants to track their applications on-line would go a long way towards streamlining the process.Advertisement Implementing single points of contact for developers, and improving the communication process, would address a number of concerns, the review found. Considering implementing more neighbourhood plans, implementing a performance management framework were also recommended in the review.Lee Bedell, president of the North Peace Construction Association said, “The Construction Association is pleased with the progress the City has made by retaining Tantus to provide an evaluation on the current development procedures. For the most part, Tantus has outlined our primary concerns in their explanation to council. They have also suggested solutions for consideration that we too feel will improve the situation. We trust that their evaluation will encourage the city officials to continue working with the local developing community to improve current procedures.”In order to go forward with the recommendations, Tantus also developed an implementation plan, outlining the tasks and projects needed to enable each recommendation. The majority of these are anticipated to be put in place within the next year to 18 months.Here is a copy of the full review.Advertisement
United Way operates not just in Fort St. John, but many other cities in Northern BC as well, including Prince George, Smithers, Chetwynd, and many others.They operate focuses on their three ‘pillars’ – children, poverty, and community.Advertisement Following a council meeting on Monday afternoon, Mayor Lori Ackerman proclaimed September 2015 to be Big Brothers Big Sisters Month, and United Way of Northern BC Month.Big Brothers Big Sisters has been working in Fort St. John for 31 years, with no sign of slowing down.– Advertisement -Even with as little as one hour a week, children who have mentors through Big Brothers Big Sisters show dramatic improvements in success at school and life.The organization says boys with a Big Brother are 3 times less likely than boys without one to suffer peer pressure related anxiety – and girls with a Big Sister are 2 and a half times more likely than girls without to be more confident in school. “We prepare children to succeed in life, we build pathways out of poverty, and we inspire people to care for one another through all three pillars.” Community Developer and Campaign Officer Niki Hedges told the council.Celebrating United Way of Northern BC in the month of September seems like a clear choice, as the organization hosts an annual Fire Truck Pull each year.The Fire Truck Pull this year, which takes place on September 19th, and Hedges says many different companies are keen to be part of the much-anticipated event.
Before Site-C can be built, a lot of work is required to be done — including maintenance to key roads.For residents who take 240 rd. everyday, the commute likely hasn’t been ideal.One resident, Christine Richards, said that crews are actively working on 240 rd. and widening it.- Advertisement -“The road is a disaster, you can only drive 10/km and even then, you’ve got mud everywhere,” she said.As work progress, Richards added that she came home one day in October to find her landline had been removed; a big concern, as their cell service is unfavourable and her mother-in-law, staying at her home, wouldn’t be able to use a phone for help otherwise.“Not being able to use 911, in this day and age, I think is a shame.”Advertisement He also wrote, “With respect to the work on 240 Road, it is continuing this week, in advance of winter shutdown. However, 240 Road will be gravel through the winter. The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure has made arrangements to properly maintain the road throughout the winter season. Work will recommence on the road in 2016.”Director of PRRD’s Electoral District C Brad Sperling said Richards is just one of quite a few residents who has complained about construction impacting their property since work to the areas surrounding Site-C took off.“We’ve had some noise and dust complaints, but (BC Hydro) has been giving them their attention,” he said. “The major impact is right now, because, of course they’re upgrading the roads and hauling the camps.”Another recent disturbance Sperling has received word of are so-called ‘pop-up camps’ generating a lot of noise for nearby residents on 244B rd., but he said they have since packed up and moved. Her telephone provider, TELUS, did not provide a comment about this situation, but has since remedied it temporarily with a landline that will need to be replaced next summer.Richards said this was followed by her signing an agreement to allow crews to remove trees on her front yard. As she came home, she said BC Hydro instead accessed her and her neighbour’s property, and mulch his trees.According to her, he had not agreed to his property being accessed, and they had not been told what was going to happen in the first place.In an e-mailed statement, BC Hydro’s Community Relations Manager for Site-C David Conway said they are aware of the issue. “While an agreement is in place for property access, we were informed late last week of concerns the property owner had raised. We halted work to investigate further.”Advertisement
Crouch, who suffered from depression when she was first elected a British lawmaker in 2010 and eschewed anti-depressants, preferring to use a technique called mindfulness to resolve it, told The Times her idea is not just to change prejudices over those suffering from mental health issues.“I take the issue of mental health incredibly seriously,” said Crouch.“The government will be hosting round-tables in the autumn to specifically discuss how professional and elite sports can help its sportsmen and women cope with mental health conditions.“It is not just about breaking down the stigma, we need to look at how to identify issues early on so that people do not get into a desperate position.”Crouch, who is a qualified Football Association (FA) coach and coaches a girl’s youth team, denied her move to instigate talks was a criticism of the sporting bodies and their lack of action over the issue.Caulker, who is presently with second-tier side Queens Park Rangers, said that when he was suffering from severe depression at Southampton, while the doctor was helpful, others just told him to go out on to the pitch and ‘express himself’.“This is not a criticism of what sports are doing, but to identify what government can do to help the professional and elite sporting bodies support their players,” said Crouch.“For many people who suffer from anxiety and depression, you would never think that they might have a mental health problem and that may be particularly the case in sport.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Everton’s Aaron Lennon (in blue) in action against Newcastle United in 2016 © AFP/File / Oli ScarffLONDON, United Kingdom, Jul 1 – UK Sports Minister Tracey Crouch is to hold talks with sports governing bodies later this year over how they can help athletes who suffer from mental health issues.Crouch’s decision comes in light of Everton winger Aaron Lennon being hospitalised under the Mental Health Act for a stress-related illness, and a moving interview given by former England defender Steven Caulker to The Guardian, where he remarked football did not deal well with those who suffered from mental illness like him.
0Shares0000Chelsea manager Antonio Conte (right) left forward Diego Costa out of the club’s pre-season tour of AsiaLONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 17 – Diego Costa has released a statement saying he will not return to Chelsea and he “must return to Atletico Madrid”.Costa is currently in his native Brazil and has threatened to remain there rather than return to London, and then leave on a free transfer. Such a scenario is not acceptable to Chelsea, though, who want the player to return to training and put himself in contention for selection.In the statement, Costa said: “My destination has already been decided. I must return to Atletico Madrid.“It turns out that there is the impasse that Chelsea do not want to release me. But I believe that this situation will be resolved now on my return to Spain.”Chelsea boss Antonio Conte reportedly texted Costa in June informing the striker he was not part of his future plans, and the striker has since remained in his native Brazil.The 28-year-old’s lawyer, Ricardo Cardoso, said last week his client intended to hand in a formal transfer request and is considering legal action against Chelsea in order to force through a move to former club Atletico.-By Sky Sports-0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Lewis Dunk and Glenn Murray capitalised on poor defending to put the hosts two goals ahead, with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang scoring a first-half consolation in a 2-1 loss.Significant numbers of Arsenal’s travelling support were calling for Wenger’s head as they went two goals down but Koscielny called for a united front.“We need to stay together, to fight together,” he said. “It is a big period for us. We know it is difficult but you need to put your head down and work every day.“We need to win to have more freedom on the pitch and we need to stay together because it is a bad period but all the players, staff and fans need to know that we are all together. It is important to have everyone behind us.”Arsenal have won just three away league games all season and have now lost eight of their past 13 games in all competitions.Their miserable run has left them 13 points adrift of Tottenham in fourth place and Koscielny conceded it would be difficult to overturn such a deficit.“It will be very hard to finish in the top four,” said the Frenchman.“We have (had) a bad period and did not have the results we wanted. We lost our confidence a little bit and on the pitch we didn’t have the confidence we needed to push ourselves more and to play well with the ball.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000A long way off: Arsenal’s Laurent Koscielny concedes Champions League football looks unlikely next season © AFP/File / Glyn KIRKLONDON, United Kingdom, Mar 5 – Arsenal defender Laurent Koscielny admits it will be “very hard” for the club to qualify for the Champions League after another damaging Premier League defeat at the hands of Brighton.Manager Arsene Wenger said after back-to-back 3-0 defeats to Manchester City, including the League Cup final, that his players’ confidence was low and Chris Hughton’s team took full advantage on Sunday.
0Shares0000Sony Sugar’s Yema Mwana attempts an overhead kick under pressure from Sofapaka’s Bernard Mang’oli and Humphrey Okoti during a Kenyan Premier League match at the Ruaraka Complex on April 15, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Apr 15- A tale of two penalties saw 10-man Sony Sugar fight from a goal down to draw 1-1 with 2009 champions Sofapaka at the Ruaraka Complex on Sunday evening, handing John Baraza a stuttering start as Batoto ba Mungu head coach.Sofapaka scored in the first half via a Mathias Kigonya penalty and the sugar-belt side responded in the second half via David Simiyu, also from the penalty spot. Sony were reduced to 10 men early in the second half after Samuel Olare was sent off for elbowing an opponent. Batoto ba Mungu broke the deadlock on the half hour mark when Sony Sugar shot stopper Kevin Omondi bungled down Kepha Aswani from the back as the two of them went high to meet a cross from Brian Dayo.Just like he has done on three previous occasions already this season, goalkeeper Kigonya stepped forward to score the resultant spot kick.Sofapaka had duly gone ahead after dictating much of the tempo in the game, earning possession and passing the ball around the park well. Kigonya had seen less action on his end as Sony ended the opening half without a single shot on target.Baraza’s charges had their first effort at goal in the eighth minute when Dayo took a shot from distance after his side had built up play patiently, but the ball went over.New Sofapaka head coach John Baraza was well suited for the occasion on his first match in charge against Sony Sugar on April 15, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaAswani had a great chance after 20 minutes when Willis Ouma’s cross from the right landed on his head inside the box, but the effort went over.After going ahead, Sony tried to surge in pressure to get back on level terms, but Sofapaka still had the chances. With 10 minutes remaining till halftime, Kevin Kimani saw his spectacular effort with a half volley from inside the box well collected by the keeper.On the other end, the pair of Yema Mwana and George Abege tried but in vain to get an effort on target.Sofapaka started the second half with the same tempo they had in the first and barely a minute in, Dayo came close with a shot from Kimani’s cut back but it was deflected for a corner.Sony Sugar’s David Simiyu vies for the ball with teh Sofapaka FC duo of Humphrey Okoti and Rodgers Aloro during a Kenyan Premier League match at the Ruaraka COmplex on April 15, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaThe hosts were handed a massive advantage eight minutes into the second half when Samuel Olare was shown a straight red card after elbowing Mousa Omar jostling for space in the wall.With the one man advantage, Sofapaka piled pressure on the visitors and they came close with Kimani’s shot from a Dayo pass brushing off a Sony leg for a corner while on the hour mark, Stephen Waruru’s left foot volley was saved by keeper Omondi.The sugar millers had a brilliant chance to gather a point especially with a man down when the ball fell graciously on David Simiyu’s path one on one with keeper Kigonya, but he took a rushed decision for a shot that went wide.They were almost punished seven minutes later but Kimani’s effort after a quick change of passes with Dayo inside the box went wide.Simiyu however made amends for his miss earlier on scoring from the penalty spot with 14 minutes left on the clock after a defensive mix up in the Sofapaka box ended up in Humphrey Okoti handling the ball.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)