“We don’t know exactly what is going to happen, but I think for the World Cup he’s going to be in shape because his injury is not so bad,” said Pele, the only person to have won the World Cup three times as a player.“I wish he has the same luck I had in the World Cup.”PSG’s Neymar, the world’s most expensive player, has not played since breaking a metatarsal bone in his right foot on February 25 in a Ligue 1 match against Marseille. He said last week he is still recovering following surgery but expects to be fit in time for the World Cup from June 14 to July 15.– Excellent players –In the last World Cup on home soil four years ago, Brazil were humiliated 7-1 by eventual winners Germany in the semi-finals but Pele feels the team under “psychologist” Tite, which breezed through South American qualifying, has the tools to go all the way.“I am confident because Tite, the new coach, now (has) had a little time to set up the team.“We have a lot of excellent players in Europe. The problem is to put the team together.“I think we’re going to have a good team in the next World Cup.”Pele said he expected few surprises at the tournament, identifying Lionel Messi’s Argentina, Germany, England and France as potential challengers — although he didn’t mention 2010 world champions Spain or current European laureates Portugal, led by their talisman Cristiano Ronaldo.However, he said “football is a box of surprises”.As for his own health problems — Pele cancelled a trip to England in January due to “exhaustion”, although his spokesman denied he had been hospitalised — Pele said there was little cause for concern.“I cannot play in the next World Cup but I feel good,” he said with a hearty laugh.“I had an injury, then I had to make a surgery for the head of my hip, then I had to replace (it), then I had a little problem with my meniscus, but now I am OK, I am ready, in good shape!”0Shares0000(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000PSG’s Neymar, the world’s most expensive player, has not played since breaking a metatarsal bone in his right foot on February 25 in a Ligue 1 match against MarseilleDUBAI, United Arab Emirates, Apr 16- Brazilian legend Pele says he is confident about Brazil’s chances at the upcoming World Cup and expects injured star Neymar to be fully fit to lead the side in Russia.Speaking to AFP in Dubai, the 77-year-old, who has been in ailing health recently, put his faith in Paris Saint-Germain striker Neymar’s ability to recover from a fractured foot in time to lead Brazil to a possible sixth global football title.
0Shares0000Patrick Vieira lifts the FA Cup in 2005 © AFP/File / ADRIAN DENNISLON DON, United Kingdom, Apr 20 – Arsene Wenger’s decision to finally step aside as Arsenal manager after 22 years in charge has sparked fevered speculation over who the Gunners will turn to next to succeed the Frenchman.Arsenal are struggling to qualify for next season’s Champions League with victory in the Europa League their only realistic route back into Europe’s premier club competition. However, with one of the biggest budgets in world football and a squad boasting the talents of Mesut Ozil and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, the Arsenal job remains highly sought after.AFP Sports looks at five contenders to take over at the Emirates:Patrick Vieira (New York City)The inspirational captain of Arsenal’s ‘Invincibles’ that went an entire league season unbeaten in 2003-04, Vieira is a symbol of the glory years under Wenger.Vieira won three league titles and three FA Cups during his playing days at Arsenal but has taken his first steps in management with another of his former clubs, Manchester City.The Frenchman took charge of City’s elite development squad for 18 months before joining New York City, part of a network of clubs around the world owned by the City Football Group.He led NYCFC to the MLS playoffs in each of his two full seasons in charge but lost out in the Eastern Conference semi-finals on both occasions.While popular with the fans, Vieira’s lack of top-level managerial experience would pose a huge risk in Arsenal’s attempts to re-establish themselves as a Premier League contender.Brendan Rodgers (Celtic)Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers © AFP/File / Andy BUCHANANRodgers has restored his reputation in just under two years at Celtic with the Glasgow giants on the brink of sweeping a treble of domestic trophies under the Northern Irishman for a second consecutive season.The 45-year-old’s three-and-a-half year spell at Liverpool ended on a sour note in October 2015 but he came as close as anyone to ending their 28-year wait for a Premier League title in 2013-14.Celtic’s major shareholder Dermot Desmond said on Friday he would not stand in Rodgers’ way.“I don’t think you can put handcuffs on anybody if they want to go to a club as good as Arsenal,” he said. “It will be Brendan’s decision and Brendan’s decision only.”Joachim Loew (Germany)A World Cup winner, Loew has resisted the temptation to swap international football for the rigours of day-to-day club management and is under contract with the German federation until 2020.Germany coach Joachim Low © AFP/File / Glyn KIRKDespite being one of the favourites for the job with the bookies, Loew’s chances are harmed by the fact he will lead Germany at the World Cup this summer.Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis conceded the club are likely to favour a quick appointment with an early end to the transfer window in August leaving just three weeks between the World Cup final in Moscow on July 15 and the closing of the window for Premier League clubs on August 9.Carlo Ancelotti (unattached)Ancelotti has more experience of managing top European clubs than all the other pretenders put together and is believed to be keen on a return to London after a two-year spell as Chelsea boss between 2009 and 2011.Former Bayern Munich coach Carlo Ancelotti © AFP/File / PATRIK STOLLARZThe Italian has three Champions League titles to his name as a coach and has won the league in Italy, France, Germany and England.However, he was sacked by Bayern Munich in September and after Wenger Arsenal could be tempted to look for a younger coach than the 58-year-old.Luis Enrique (unattached)Luis Enrique enjoyed a successful spell as Barcelona coach © AFP/File / Josep LAGOA treble winner in his first season in charge of Barcelona in 2014-15, Enrique has enjoyed a season off after three gruelling campaigns at the Camp Nou.Those three seasons delivered two league titles and three Copa del Rey wins on top of the Champions League in 2015.Enrique is also interested in a move to the Premier League and would fit Gazidis’s claim that Arsenal want a successor to follow Wenger’s attacking style of play.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
0Shares0000Room for improvement: Harry Kane believes England must improve to be tournament contenders in the future © AFP / Giuseppe CACACESAINT PETERSBURG, Russian Federation, Jul 14 – England captain Harry Kane admitted the Three Lions must improve if they are to build on reaching the World Cup semi-finals after losing the third-place playoff 2-0 to Belgium on Saturday.Gareth Southgate’s side made the last four for the first time in 28 years, but a second defeat in the tournament to Belgium means they ultimately lost three of their seven games in Russia. “We closed it for sure (the gap to best top teams). But today shows, and some other games show, that there is still room for improvement,” said Kane.“We’ve said that all along – we’re not the finished article yet, we’re still learning, we’re still getting better.“We don’t want to wait another 20-odd years to get to the semi-final in big matches. This is the level we’ve got to stay at now. We’ve got to improve, we’ve got to get better, but it will come.”Kane failed to find the net in England’s final three games of the tournament, but still remains on course to win the Golden Boot thanks to his six goals against Tunisia, Panama and Colombia.“Obviously I’m disappointed I couldn’t get a goal in the last few games,” added the Tottenham Hotspur striker.“Sometimes it goes for you, sometimes it doesn’t. But if I win it, it’ll be something I’ll be very proud of.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – NEAT’s Northern Co-hort will be holding the 1st Annual Northern Seed and Garden Supply Exchange on Saturday, April 13.According to NEAT, this will be a day of community building where you can pack up your seeds and garden supplies for the first of many exchanges.There will also be workshops offered on mason bees, pruning and permaculture, as well as the opportunity to meet local ecological farms, gain access to local meats, canning, plant starts and weekly veggie box information.- Advertisement -This is a family event and kids can paint and plant their own flower pot to take home.You can also sign up for a community garden bed, play with composting worms and veggie themed block prints.There will also be door prizes to win.Advertisement 12:30 pm – Pruning Principals with Sonya Runacres1:30 pm – Permaculture with Katy Peck Entry fee into the exchange is $5.00 which also gets you a 25 percent discount at the NEAT Finds Thrift Store.The Professional Workshops are $10.00 each or $25.00 for all three (pre-register to ensure your spot).Schedule:11:30 am – Mason Bees with Emony NichollsAdvertisement The 1st Annual Northern Seed and Garden Supply Exchange takes place this Saturday, April 13 from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the NEAT Offices, 10003 95th Ave, Fort St. John, above the NEAT Finds Thrift Store.For more information, you can visit Neat’s Northern Co-hort’s Facebook event page.
Pedro Leon QPR target Pedro Leon is at the centre of a bizarre argument with his club over an alleged offer from Hannover.The midfielder was thought to be on Harry Redknapp’s list of targets and reports on deadline day suggested a move could have been completed.That was not the case and now a dispute has arisen between Leon and his club. Getafe were not able to register Leon – their highest-paid player – for the new season as it would have taken them over the wage cap imposed on them by the Spanish league.Getafe claimed they had not received any offers for the player this summer, but Leon has published a letter in Marca which appears to be from German side Hannover offering to purchase the player for around £800,000.The German club have stated the letter is genuine but Getafe president Angel Torres claimed he never received it.“We’ve had no official offer from any club. A letter has now emerged which the Germans will have to clarify who sent it and when,” he told Cadena Cope.“No club can say that they have spoken to us, neither can they say they have sent us a letter, so we’ve not been able to reject any offer.“I’m not saying the document is false, but that letter addressed to me and Getafe never reached us.”And Leon’s future is no closer to being decided with the two sides at loggerheads over the situation. 1
It seems no one is safe from Randy Orton, with the WWE superstar gaining internet notoriety for performing his trademark ‘RKO’ finishing move in the most ludicrous of circumstances.Nicknamed the ‘viper’, Orton has been spotted slithering into shots and ‘delivering’ his finisher, before celebrating.Take a look at the video above and roll around laughing.
Tottenham substitute Harry Kane proved just why he deserves a crack in the starting line-up by netting a dramatic late winner at Aston Villa.Spurs fans were left wondering just what the academy graduate had to do to earn a first Premier League start, having scored eight times in 12 games this season, as under pressure boss Mauricio Pochettino stuck with the divisive Emmanuel Adebayor.In contrast the Villans had Christian Benteke up front, who put in an imperious display until he stupidly saw red, giving Spurs their route back into the game as Nacer Chadli cancelled out Andreas Weimann’s opener and Kane stole all three points.Neither side came into the match in decent form, so it was unsurprising to see nervousness dominating more than skill and clear cut chances, and even when opportunities did arise they were badly squandered.A prime culprit of wastefulness was much-maligned Spurs striker Roberto Soldado, who somehow managed to put a totally free header wide from a staggering total of just four yards out. The travelling supporters immediately made their feelings known to Pochettino by breaking into chants of ‘Harry Kane’.At the other end Benteke was proving precisely why he is the sort of striker the north London outfit would benefit from having in their ranks as he cannoned a blistering left-footer off the outside of the post.But Weimann ensured Villa took advantage of their building momentum as he toe-poked in Charles N’Zogbia’s cross on 16 minutes to put the hosts ahead, ending their two month barren run and 547 Premier League minutes without a goal.Adebayor then took his opportunity to prove he can match Soldado in being just as poor a goal threat as the Togo forward burst through one-on-one and then had his tame effort easily saved by Brad Guzan. Manager Pochettino, clearly feeling the rising pressure in the Spurs dugout, took to throwing his water bottle to the ground in frustration.The Argentine’s anger could have risen a few more notches had Benteke’s brilliant looping header fell just a few inches inside the post, rather than flicking the outside of it.Finally, it was time for the boss to give Spurs fans what they wanted, as he hauled off the laughably bad Adebayor for man of the moment, Kane.Immediately the England Under-21 international showed more in 60 seconds than his team-mate had in 60 minutes, winning a corner through bustling work and then planting a thumping header at Guzan’s chest.Re-energised by Kane’s introduction, Spurs were thrown an added incentive to find an equaliser when Benteke needlessly got himself a straight red card for raising his hands and mildly slapping Ryan Mason after a feisty challenge from the youngster.However, the Tottenham midfielder could also consider himself lucky not to walk having butted heads in the confrontation.Villa’s bench were left fuming by the incident and the temperature gauge noticeably increased on the field too as Weimann entered the book for a wild challenge on Mason.But the testy mood was playing into Tottenham’s hands as they sought and equaliser. Eventually, it would come as Chadli smartly volleyed home from a corner with six minutes remaining.Paul Lambert desperately tried to rally his troops and Aly Cissokho was almost the unlikeliest of heroes as he smashed a shot just wide.But it was Spurs who would end up executing a classic smash and grab as Kane hammered in a Cristiano Ronaldo-esque dipper free-kick which, aided by a vicious deflection off Nathan Baker’s head, left Guzan wrongfooted. Tottenham’s Harry Kane 1
Andy Gray fears the worst for Aston Villa this season.Paul Lambert’s side have picked up just a point from their last seven Premier League games, and Gray is warning there could be a New Year exodus which will push his old club through the even further into trouble.“They worry me enormously,” he said, speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“I don’t see a lot of hope at the moment. I see a team that is devoid of a real goal threat, I think people are not doing their jobs.“I see a team in January that could lose [Ron] Vlaar, [Fabian] Delph and [Christian] Benteke or certainly a combination of them and, if they do, they are in real trouble. I fear for Villa, I really do.”
Liverpool target Andre-Pierre Gignac will have to cut his wage demands by a third if he decides to stay at Marseille, according to reports in France.Gignac has been in lethal form in Ligue 1 this season, scoring 12 goals in 17 appearances and firing Marseille to the top of the table.However, the France international is still yet to sign a new contract, with his current deal expiring at the end of the season.talkSPORT told you last week about Gignac’s decision to wait until the end of the season before deciding his future, with Marseille struggling to meet his demands.According to RMC, L’OM’s chairman Vincent Labrune is only willing to offer Gignac £40,000-a-week – meaning the striker’s current wages would be cut by a third.Liverpool are reportedly willing to offer Gignac nearly double that amount and, as a result, the 29-year-old is said to be keeping his options open. 1 Andre-Pierre Gignac
Terry Butcher has dismissed the prospect of becoming Glasgow Rangers boss any time soon.The former Ibrox captain has been linked with the job after Ally McCoist was placed on gardening leave, but the continuing uncertainty that surrounds the club means he will not be putting his name forward.Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, he said: “I think anybody looking at it from the outside will wonder just what is going on.“It is a bit of a minefield if you want to take control. If there is no harmony in the boardroom and you have got a new chairman coming in left, right and centre, as a manager and as players you wonder just what is going on. Until they get that sorted out it is reflected on the pitch itself.”