Cooke died in 1997, and his estate sold the paper to MediaNews Group, headed by President and Chief Executive Officer William Dean Singleton. The sale price was not disclosed. Today, the Daily News has a Sunday circulation of more than 200,000. In addition, anyone in the world with Internet access can read its coverage instantly, any time, by accessing the paper’s World Wide Web site: Dailynews.com. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE‘Mame,’ ‘Hello, Dolly!’ composer Jerry Herman dies at 88 In the 1960s, the Valley News and Green Sheet expanded its coverage to the Conejo, Simi and Santa Clarita valleys. In 1973, the Markham and Mendenhall families sold the paper for $25 million to the Tribune Co., publisher of The Chicago Tribune. The company dropped the green front page in 1976, started printing seven days a week in 1979 and in, 1981, stopped free distribution and changed the name to the Daily News. Then, in 1985, Jack Kent Cooke, the owner of the Washington Redskins and New York City’s Chrysler Building, bought the Daily News for $176 million. On May 31, 1987, he moved the operation to its current 132,000-square-foot building at 21221 Oxnard St. In 1990, a new printing plant was opened in Valencia. As the San Fernando Valley has grown and changed phenomenally over the years, so has the Daily News – one of the Valley’s oldest businesses. The Van Nuys Call published its first issue Oct. 13, 1911. Six weeks later, Frank Keefer, a newspaper reporter from Pittsburgh, bought the paper from its founder, E.R. Elkins, and renamed it the Van Nuys News. The weekly paper was a noisy booster for its home community but also reported big stories of the day such as the coming of electricity to the area in 1912. The News started publishing twice a week in 1922. In 1932, Keefer sold his interest to William Colfax Markham and his sons and daughter, Maurice, Ralph and Miriam. They joined with one of Keefer’s earlier partners, Walter Mendenhall, who then became editor. His son, Ferdinand Mendenhall, was editor after his father. In the 1940s, to set itself apart from the competition, the paper started printing its front page on green paper, and in 1953 changed its name to the Valley News and Green Sheet. The paper came out three days a week in 1954, and four days in 1959.